Thursday, October 18, 2012

KALE CHIPS

IF THERE WAS EVER A HEALTHY CHIPS, this is it!

Fresh kale leaves chips. Giving up on so many things when faced with a condition or just to loose weight, or for the sake of health in general can seem challenging,and often is experienced as mourning. But with this recipe this crunchy salty craving for chips can be easily satisfied, while getting one of the most nutrient dense foods on earth! This recipe could be dehydrated or baked. My version is a combination of both,since I still don't have a dehydrator and also for saving time (dehydrating can take up to 8-10 hours) I'd like to give credit to Chef Amber Shea for this and lots of other recipes, which I am trying and will keep posting my versions here.My husband discovered Amber while searching for Hashimoto's diet for me.Her blog came up, since she,like myself,was diagnosed with Hashimoto's recently. Amber has been a great influence and even if she is almost vegan and almost fully raw chef,(which I didn't find suitable for myself), I have adapted many of her raw techniques and her lively attitude towards cooking and overcoming health obstacles. 

Without further adieu: FRESH KALE CHIPS 




Products: 
Kale chips out of the oven 
.kale of your choice(I like the dark kale for its superior powerhouse nutrition qualities) Choose as little or as much as you'd like to make.  
.Celtic sea salt-pinch or more, depending how salty you prefer. 
.1 tbs olive oil
.1 tbs fresh lemon juice
.coconut oil

1.heat up oven to 300 F
2.remove kale from stems, cut roughly
3.in a small ball mix olive oil, lemon and salt
4.gently massage kale leaves with the mixture, till they soften a bit 
5. grease pan with coconut oil and lay kale leaves on it, so it is just a single layer.
6.put in the oven for only 10 min (please, watch not to burn, happens fast)
7.remove, turn leaves on the other side, turn oven off.
8.return into warm oven and let sit there till it gets crunchy.
9. remove and serve 


I sprinkled this one with cheddar cheese for my girl, to add some familiar taste to it 
                
NOTES:
-I over-salted my chips the first time-next time i will try just plain, no salt.
- really watch out for the 10 min. time and turn your leaves over and the oven off, or they will burn.
-you can store the chips in a paper bag and use it as a spice, just crumble with your fingers in soups and stews to add more nutrition.     
-this is just the "naked" version of this chips; you can create variety sprinkling with different cheeses, butters and spreads. Being a purist i love the basic one :)
Enjoy!  

1 comment:

  1. Hi there, this is a very late post [I just found your site]. I too have Hashimotos, & really want to try kale chips - but I have read kale can interfer with the levels & medication. Are they ok because they are baked & by being baked makes the kales goitrogens less or something?
    Thanks for your time :)
    Amanda
    Australia

    ReplyDelete