Wednesday, October 24, 2012

COCO-ROASTED-CAULIFLOWER

     Cauliflower is one of the most delectable and diverse vegetables I discovered since I started this Gluten free diet.Not that I didn't know about cauliflower before,I just didn't know all the things one can make from it-from eating it just raw,roasting,making raw humus,or pickling it-it will show all it's deliciousness and diverse ways to flavor it.I have to give credit to the Almost vegan chef blog, for giving the base of my cauliflower recipe.
    Here is the first one I tried and it turned so warming and hearty!

COCO-ROASTED-CAULIFLOWER with GARLIC GARNISH 

Ingredients: 

.1 head cauliflower, stem removed, 
Oven ready 
cut or broken into florets
.1 tablespoon melted coconut oil 
.1 tablespoon curry powder
.a dash of cumin powder 
(optional; I love everything 
with cumin and it gives it 
a heartier, meaty taste)  
.1/4 teaspoon sea salt 

Directions:

Heat oven to 400 F.Place the cauliflower florets into a large ball or directly in your baking pan;drizzle on the coconut oil first, so florets are fairly well coated on all sides;sprinkle on the salt,toss;evenly sprinkle the curry powder and the cumin powder.I also sprinkle with a few tablespoons of water,to keep it fresh and not sticking to the bottom of the pan.

    Cover the baking pan with aluminum foil. This keeps all the aroma in, cooks faster and steams them a bit before roasting.Place in oven for 10 minutes;after that remove the foil and toss gently. 
    Return to oven and roast until the cauliflower is lightly golden, or until tender when checked with a fork, anywhere from 5-10 more minutes.I prefer mine on the raw,crunchy side,sometimes, and other times-just well roasted, melt-in-your-mouth florets.


Just out of the oven 

    
GARLIC GARNISH:

In a mean time prepare your garlic garnish for tossing over the cauliflower.I make sure to always have this made-I use it on many things-salads,spaghetti squash, humus, even yogurt; I just love sprinkling garlic on anything. And the benefits of having garlic are so numerous, it will be a big task to mention them all here. But just this one- it is a great system cleanser and immune booster especially in the winter months. Fresh garlic kills viruses, bacteria, yeast and parasites almost instantly after consumption.Just make sure that it is organic and raw, and eat it soon after mincing or crashing it, or it looses its powers along with its aroma. Now, this might be a throw back for some,but the rewards are well worth it. 

Ingredients: 
.a head of garlic or just a few cloves (make more if you wish to have for a few days) 
.juice of one lemon
.1/2 tablespoon sea salt

Mince or crash the garlic,cover with the lemon juice and salt and stir.  
You can sprinkle the whole mixture on the roasted cauliflower or store in a closed jar in the refrigerator for later use. 

This one is for me,very garlic-y with pine nuts on top






To enhance the already nutty taste 
of coco buttered cauliflower, 
sprinkle with any seeds or 
nuts you like.I find it very 
compatible with sunflower 
seeds and pine nuts.  





Garlic-free for my going to work husband









                



    


                                     
NOTES: I can easily use this for a main dish. It works equally well for a side or garnish to a main dish. I find it goes well with fish, or other vegetables like Yams.
also you can put any left overs in the food processor and make it into a humus for next meal.


ENJOY!
                                                             

No comments:

Post a Comment