Thursday, October 18, 2012

BATTLING HASHIMOTO'S HYPOTHIROIDISM WITH DIET AND NUTRITION

SOMETIMES in life we come upon our most important decisions and make a leap for the better due to hardship and suffering. This is how I came upon my new diet- I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism- an autoimmune condition in which the immune system mistakenly attacks the thyroid gland,causing an array of different symptoms,from fatigue,to number of deficiencies,to total exhaustion.It is not my intention here to describe the disease, since I'd like this blog to celebrate fun, enjoyment of life and positivism. After doing a huge research and working closely with a certified nutritionist to figure out what is the best diet for this condition,I found out that my diet is a combination of Raw and Paleo diet, only it excludes all nuts, that raw foodies and Paleo enthusiast alike love and use abundantly. I do love nuts, but due to a secondary condition-Systemic yeast infection, which was compromising my state even more-I had to avoid them for the time being.I can still use seeds and seed butters, which are often a great substitute for nuts.My personal favorite is MaraNatha sunflower seed butter, which a splat on anything- fruit slices,gluten free pan cakes,mix it with coconut oil  and hemp seeds for a quick snack on the go.After being on this diet for 4-6 week I started to FEEL GREAT for a change, after months and months of low energy, depression, disturbed sleep, just to mention a few.And, besides eating PLENTY of fats- from coconut oil (I went through almost a quart a week!!),olive oil,meats and eggs, I was LOOSING WEIGHT! This was a rather unwelcome side effect for me,since my intention was not to loose weight. May be I did have a few extra pounds, but after the 3rd week I was really shedding those pounds.I even asked my Nutritionist how can I add some calories to my diet, since I started to feel that I am going dawn of my ideal weight. She suggested to add more avocados and a few more spoons of coconut oil.For those who are concerned with loosing too much weight--do not get dissuaded, keep it up and your body will adjust to your new weight, while feeling great.I was glad to shed that old diseased tissue and fat and substitute it with new vibrant tissue and muscle.Also for those who are trying to loose weight-I was not starving on this Gluten Free Sugar Free diet, because the recommendation was to eat every 2 hours in the beginning; so,I never felt hungry or starved, and nevertheless I kept loosing weight. Later,as my condition and energy level were improving, I was able to go for longer periods of time between meals. But in the beginning I was also to work on a low blood sugar that also had with this autoimmune condition. I am so happy to say that all of my symptoms started to disappear one by one, slowly but surely I was on my way to health!
CHEERS TO YOUR HEALTH WITH ALL THE DELICIOUS RECIPES,PRODUCT AND INFORMATION LINKS!

Enjoy!     

No comments:

Post a Comment