Friday, October 19, 2012

COCO YAMS, YUMMY YAMS....

       I don't know where the word "yummy" got it's origin, but I won't be surprised if it comes from yams-these humble tubers are very deserving of it. Yams also called sweet potatoes are not related to the potato at all-they are the tuber of a morning glory climbing plant and one of the oldest vegetables known to men.
I would not have known how good they were if it wasn't for my nutritionist recommendation. Yams were the only starchy food allowed in my Gluten free sugar free diet.It is because  the benefits of having yams outweighs the starchiness,the sugars and the calorie intake.Yams are loaded with vitamin A and potassium, calcium and number of minerals,as well as powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant elements.   

Here is two of the simplest and yummies recipes I have ever made:


1.COCO YAMS: 


  My nutritionist recommended this for a french fries substitute.I was not big on yams or sweet potatoes till then.It was so well worth the try and it became one of my personal favorites now for side,desert and small snack. And it cannot get any simpler than that.


 Products:
.2 large yams
.a big spoon of coconut oil. 

Heat oven to 350 F.
Cut the yams as thin or as meaty as you like them to be (I prefer the meatier version)
Lay them in a baking pan and roll them with a large teaspoonful of coconut oil.It might seam like lots of oil, but they really sock it up and sizzle in it, so they get this french fries feel to them.
Cover the baking pan with aluminum foil.
Bake for 30 min, then remove the foil and bake for another 15 min. 


These are best right out of the oven
2. BAKED YAMS

   This one is even easier, and you can do it at the same time you do your Coco Yams. Just wrap 1 to 3 medium to large yams in aluminum foil and roll them in the bottom of your oven (this is what I do, but you can put them in a baking pan as well, because the caramelized juices of the baking yams sip through the foil on the bottom of the oven; however, I love the pleasant aroma)
    The yams can handle some baking, but generaly I keep them for about an hour on 350 F. Depending on whether they are soft or hard it will take different time to completely bake, so check with a fork right through the foil to see if they are soft enough.  


Humble root but so good...!



    NOTE:Baked Yams make for a great side,but I really prefer them for a healthy desert and a snack on the go.I stock up with a few for the week, since they are equally good steaming hot with butter or after a few days in the fridge. 
Here is your nutritious desert 

  
                                                     
                                      

No comments:

Post a Comment